CHANSON: A NEW DESSERT BAR COMING TO NEW YORK
Chanson, a modern European bakery and dessert debuts in New York (20 w 23rd st.) on March 20th, 2017. Chef Rory Macdonald celebrates the art of dessert making with intricate, beautiful, classic European desserts with a touch of modern flare. As he describes it, "the look and feel is very sleek and almost museum like, highlighting the patisseries as pieces of art." He sees Chanson as different from other European patisseries in New York in that it will operate in a more traditional European cadence. For example: as opposed to serving baked goods all day, they will offer the following experiences at different times throughout the day to give customers a taste of the culture of European dinning:
- Bakery: croissant and artisanal breads like apple thyme brioche and cheddar onion rye
- At the Counter: bon bons, eclairs, caramels, macarons
- Afternoon Tea: traditional English tea sets with petite sandwiches and pastries
- A Lat Carte: soups, salads, and sandwiches
- Dessert Bar: intimate dessert tasting in the evening accompanied by craft cocktails (starting in April)
I had the opportunity to attend the pre-launch party and was blown away. Every bite was well crafted, beautifully presented, decadent, and bursting with flavor. The onion goat cheese tart and the jalapeno cream cheese croissant were buttery, flaky, and filing. The bonbons, blood orange macarons, and hazelnut caramels were rich and melt in your mouth decadent. Two of my favorite bites were the basil marshmallow and coconut carrot cake. The basil marshmallow was very light and fragarant. The carrot cake was unlike any I've ever had. It was moist, perfect ratio of cake to cream, and the coconut added a tropical twist. Can't wait to go back for the dessert and cocktail tasting!
Until the next bite......