UNIQUE WINE TASTING PLUS DUMPLINGS - NYC
I like dumplings. I drink wine occasionally. Turns out, I love the combo! I would never have thought to pair wine and dumplings, but I am so glad that Beyond Wine introduced me to the combo. Beyond Wine hosts unique wine tasting events that focus on the food as much as the wine. I attended an event where they partnered with Dumpling Galaxy in Flushing, New York. I brought along a good friend of mine (@omgitsbomb) and we walked in not having a clue what to expect. Happy to report that we both left with big smiles and full bellies, #winning.
Here is what I loved about the event:
1. It was casual
Wine tastings tend to be really stuffy with a lot of glass twirling, sniffing, and foreign words describing the lifespan of the wine. David, the founder of Beyond Wine only spent a few minutes describing the wine and why it paired well with each dish. We then focused on the important stuff, eating and drinking. It was perfect!
2. It was unique
The combination of wine and dumpling is definitely a unique one. But we didn’t just have your good ol' steamed pork dumplings (nothing wrong with those, love them dearly), we had lamb, duck, and even cod dumplings. Everything we tasted was delish and the wines complimented each dish without overwhelming it.
3. It was more than a tasting
When I think of a tasting I think of tiny bites and sips. Not here. We were served half to a full glass of wine with every dish plus full entrees.
4. It was family style
We sat at a table with other people we never met before. We introduced ourselves, shared delicious food, and a few laughs. We even exchanged some photography tips. Walking away from an event with new friends is always a plus.
Here are the parings:
- Appetizers: Mustard Green, Soybean and Tofu Salad, Black Wood Ear Mushroom, Spinach with Sesame -- paired with 2012 Raventos I Blanc de Nit
- Dumplings: Special Mixed Shellfish Dumpling, Salmon and Dill Dumpling, Cod Fish with Roe Dumpling, Pork and Chive Dumpling, Duck and Shitake Mushroom Dumpling, Pork Soup Dumpling, Lamb and Cilantro Dumpling -- paired with 2014 Ravines Dry Riesling and 2015 Domaine Faiveley Mercurey Rouge or 2011 Domaine Chaveau Saint-Amour
- Entrées: Steamed Whole Fish, Di San Xian Eggplant, Potato, String Beans, Peppers, Fried Chicken, Spicy Pickled Cabbage -- paired with 2013 Domaine Cheysson Chiroubles Clos des les Farges or 2011 Domaine des Billards Beaujolais.
- Desserts: Pumpkin with Black Sesame Tang Yuan, Eight Treasures & Pear Sweet Dumpling. Desserts paired with 2013 or 2015 Keuka Lake Leon Millot Fournier Vineyard- Pumpkin with Black Sesame Tang Yuan, Eight Treasures & Pear Sweet Dumpling -- paired with 2013 or 2015 Keuka Lake Leon Millot Fournier Vineyard
Follow Beyond Wine on Instagram, @Byond.Wine to see upcoming food and wine events.
I was hosted by Beyond Wine but the opinion in this article is my own.
until the next bite....cheers!